Monday, September 8, 2008

Old friends .... New Friends

I'd like to introduce you to one of my "new best friends", my walker. I've been home from the hospital for a bit over a week. Adjusting to my new body part, my new right hip, has not been bad. The prescription medications are handling the pain (mainly from the incision and my right knee) My walker has made it possible for me to be mobile at home. I use it to go up and down the stairs (usually once a day). Don't you just love my husband's addition to my walker? He was so proud of himself. He definitely is an LSU fanatic. I have three "potty chairs" in important places in the house (thanks, Pat for sharing) The physical therapist/nurse visits me at home twice a week. Yesterday, she showed me how to use another new friend, "my cane." Using the cane will be a bit easier in the house especially around the furniture in our family room. Saturday, she removed the staples on the incision. That helped tremendously!!!

The support from "people friends" especially quilters has been fabulous. Thank you friends! I love each day when one of my sons brings the mail in the house. My mailbox has been filled with wonderful "get well" cards. I've received visits at the hospital (thanks, Paula, Nancy and Kathy), plants (hoping they survive) a prayer shawl from my cousin Peg in Houston, and delicious meals. My husband is the cook in the family. Adding my care to his duties has added stress for him. We were blessed that he was able to take eight days off of work and take care of me at home. It just helped not to worry about what to feed us. Poor dear! He even burned the chicken and "missed" on a pot of soup all in one day. He was a bit discouraged. So meals for the "disabled" has helped tremendously. My school friends paid for a lady to clean my house. Bless them! Having a clean house, has been a blessing and helped me relax.

Karen from
Life-In the Slow Lane and Cindy from Knapsack Quilts were my "babysitters" on Friday evening. My husband loves football, college and high school. Our high school team had a game on Friday evening. Karen and Cindy came to my house so that Marion could attend the game with his "buddies." It was wonderful to hear "quilty" talk. Patterns, fabric lines, "Bad Melisa" shopping trips, Moda fabric lines, jelly-rolls, Quilts, Quilts, Quilts, etc. Thanks Karen and Cindy!!!!!!

Perhaps, my most devoted friend has been my dachshund, Rusty or "Dr. Rusty". He has been constantly at my side providing warmth and companionship. I worried that he might trip me or jump on my incision. No problem! He has been a constant companion, a devoted friend.

6 comments:

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Becky, SO glad to hear you are healing and adjusting to this new switcheroo in life. Before you know it, you'll be running around the house, frantically looking for your favorite thimble or scissors. Keep up the reading and sewing, and you'll be there past this before you know it.

Hugs from Michigan, where it's SO chilly today!

Teresa said...

Sounds like you are doing great! I know I have always heard that a good part of a successful recovery is a good attitude and you certainly sound like you have that. I hope you will continue to progress nicely .

Mary Johnson said...

Oh Becky, how difficult for you now but I'm glad to read that you're making progress.

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Becky. Wish I was closer so I could help out more; even so, my thoughts are with you! Hoping you'll be up to a road trip to Sweet Home soon!

"Bad Melisa!"

Gretchen said...

I'm so glad you have Dr. Rusty to help you out and keep you company. After my surgery, I had "Dr. Gomez" who was very concerned about me the whole time I was home. My work schedule should lighten up soon and I'll come by to give you some distraction.
HUGS!
Gretch

SueR said...

Take care of yourself and heal well, Becky. Rusty is such a lovely fellow!