Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Good Read

 I belong to a book club. The club has been meeting every other month for over nine years. Most of the ladies were faculty members at an elementary school I worked at over 10 years ago. Most of the ladies are now retired from teaching  and absolutely loving retirement. Three or four of us are still in the classroom/library. This book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is our book for this month. It was a wonderful read. The setting is  1940's in London and the Channel Islands. The book is a series of letters written from one character to the other. Quaint is a synonm that comes to mind. Humorous. Heart-breaking as they recall the German occupation of the Channel Islands and the plight of prisoners. I finished the book yesterday afternoon. Last night was a let-down. I wanted to read the next installment of happenings on Guernsey Island with Juliet, the main character. There is no more to read, but I'll get the audiobook from the public library. Maybe, listening (rereading) this one will satisfy my reading-soul.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gald you posted about this book, I had wondered about it. I will have to add it to my list.

Susan said...

I enjoyed catching up by reading all your recent blogs. I just haven't gotten into posting that much. I love the school author quilt. That layout is really great! I'm jealous. You'll have to give me a call the next time you take a field trip to Sweet Home! Happy Belated Birthday to your son! It's wonderful that your students are so keyed up about reading! I hope that they do well at district!