Friday, July 2, 2010

A Day of Sewing

Yahoo! I spent most of the day in my sewing room. I don't remember the last time that a had a completely free day. My sewing room is in bad shape. It's all my fault :) As I was sewing today, I did straighten and clean some. That helps tremendously! I started the morning by making a list of sewing goals. I wasn't sure if anything would be accomplished so the list was brief.

First, on the list was to finish sewing the last two dark rounds on White Chocolate. To keep the blocks scrappy, additional strips had to be cut. Once the blocks were all finished, I gathered them up and placed them on top of our king-size bed. The quilt top is too big for my design wall.

I experimented with different log cabin settings and decided on Streak of Lightning. At one point while sewing the blocks, I was disappointed in some of my fabric choices. I was trying to only use neutral fabrics from my neutral stash. I am super pleased how the blocks look now that they are finished. The rows are all pinned together and labeled. This is a good project for group sewing time, Thimbles or our up-coming Summer Stitch-in.  The blocks are neatly put away in a project container to be sewn together at one of those events.

I was a bit behind on the Jelly Roll Sampler Quilt Along blocks. I had two blocks to sew and a new one will be posted on Monday. Block 8 was a bit involved. It took quite a bit of time to complete, but I like the final result.



Block 9 came together quickly.

On Monday, I purchased sashing and inner border fabric for this project. It needed something darker than I originally planned to use. Kristie and Brenda helped me select a brown fabric with some green tints.

I'm beginning to see clear spaces in the sewing room. All the neutral fabric is put away, the Portabello Market jelly roll strips and other fabric is folded and put away. The blocks are still on the design wall.

I'm taking a break at the moment. It's a bit cooler today. Cooler than it's been most of June in "Hotlanta." DH and I are sitting on our screened-in porch enjoying the cooler temps.

 If I can get Blogger to upload photos I'll post this tonight. I'm debating the next project on my list. I think I'll pull out Between Charming Friends and put the top together. If I feel like cutting, I have two, no three projects that I need to finish cutting. I love cutting fabric:)

5 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

It does feel good getting the sewing room in order, doesn't it. Love all your blocks.

Teresa said...

You got quite a bit done. I so enjoy having a day to sew as well. Your porch looks inviting and comfy and just the right place for relaxing and reading.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your white chocolate is so pretty! I find the same as you did with this project...sometimes I really dislike a quilt as I am working on it and I never know how I will feel about it by the end :)

Diane said...

The white chocolate feels peaceful. It's really pretty.

I also really like the jelly roll sampler. The brown sashing will make it pop!

Susan said...

I really like the way that your white chocolate turned out. I sometimes use my king size bed as a design wall, too. The dark brown that you got for your jelly roll blocks really sets them off! Your screened in porch looks so inviting!