Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A New Obsession

Just looking at this photo makes me happy. I can't control the smile on my face. For the longest time, I was completely uninterested in vintage sheets. The spark to this new obsession began in of all places...
in my closet.
Not this organized side, but the shelf to the right. The one I won't show you:) I've been attempting to clean closets. I'm making progress, but there's lots to muck through. I was determined to keep only what we are using. Items that have not been used in the last year or two are to be donated. I was doing great on the shelf that our sheets are stored, UNTIL
 I touched one of the old sheets my MIL gave us when she moved into her  senior apartment. It was so soft and "cottony". I kept the sheet sets even though I've never put them on one of our beds.
In visiting some of the blogs for this year's Blogger's Quilt Festival, specifically Sandie's blog Crazy'boutquilts, I was totally captivated by her quilt made with vintage sheets.
Sandie has been wonderful about answering my many questions. To help me in my collection of fat quarters of vintage sheets, she mailed me some of her stash.
I'm hooked. I'm now planning visits to Thrift stores to add to my stash of sheets. The search is half the fun. 


The last time I was into collecting vintage items was about 15 years ago.
Dear Son was "INTO" the Ninja Turtles. We still have a collection of TMNT items.

Anyone else collecting vintage sheets?

Giveaways
Sofia at Frugal Ideas from the Parsonage has a giveaway that I'd love to win. It's for 21 charm squares from her collection of vintage sheets. This one ends tomorrow, June 1st.

8 comments:

Diane said...

I've had or my mother or mother-in-law has had some of those very same sheets!

Have fun collecting.

Jocelyn said...

Yes Becky, I have been collecting vintage sheets for a while. But I've been having a real hard time finding any in my area. They used to be everywhere, but not lately. Even our Good Will does not carry sheets anymore. Only bedspreads. So start digging. They are such treasures to find.

Darlene said...

A wonderful new obsession - have fun - can't wait to see what comes from your collection.

manybooks said...

I just love the look of vintage sheets! I have 2 sets from my aunt's house. I think i should go look at thrift stores, but I'm curious how do you really know what you are looking for??

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Thank you for mentioning me and my quilt, Becky! I'm so happy you are enjoying sheet collecting! :-)

Teresa said...

I have been seeing references to vintage sheets on lots of blogs lately. I have to resist this one though, I just have no more room for more fabric. What a fun collection though.

Sandra said...

This looks like a fun adventure. Can't wait to see how you will combine all those lovely sheets into a quilt!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Becky, I've been collecting vintage sheets and just waiting to have some extra time to get started. Another project on the to-do list...