Thursday, May 17, 2012

Just for You Quilts

The third Tuesday of the month is one of my favorite days. It is meeting day for my Guild. Before I retired, I longed to attend the guild meeting, but would not take off from work once a month for the morning meetings. Attending the meetings was added to my "When I Retire ..... List." Our guild has several service projects. All year, members make baby quilts to donate to Scottish Rite children's hospital. The program is called Just for You. The meeting in May is very touching. The quilts (over 310 this year) are displayed in the sanctuary of the church where the meetings are held. The pastor leads our members in a blessing of the quilts. A representative From Scottish Rite graciously accepts our donations.
 




Last May was the first time that I attended the May meeting. It is a touching experience. 
 This past week it's been "pedal to the metal" in my sewing room. Brenda donated this luscious fat quarter bundle of flannels. Rag quilts are my favorite baby quilts. I realized after it was completed that I have two stripes together. There is a story behind that one, but it was too late to correct.
 The next two quilts were kits that the Just For You committee organized for us to take home and sew. Piecing the tops was easy. It's the machine quilting that slows me down. Using my walking foot, I did straight line quilting on these two tops. It's the first time that I machine quilted in over 15 years. 
It was a wonderful experience in my spacious Sewing Cavern. (men have caves. women have caverns:) I learned lots in this experience. I will continue to try and improve my skills. I still plan to quilt my large projects with my "Credit Card", but these small projects are a nice challenge.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

What a beautiful project for your guild. Loved seeing them all spread out.

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Como eu gostaria de participar dessa explosão.

Diane said...

The quilts are so beautiful draped over the pews! What a wonderful thing to do. I love that the pastor blesses the quilts. A tender moment, I imagine.

Our guild does something similar. They make quilts to be auctioned off/bought at the December Festival of Trees to raise money for Primary Children's Hospital here in Salt Lake. One thing I love about it is I now have a great place to donate fabric that I have decided I won't use after all, and it still gets made into quilts.

Unknown said...

The quilts are beautiful, looks like you had a great time. Maybe someday I will get there.