Thursday, July 10, 2008

Home Again

I can't believe that we've been home a week from our grueling trip to Louisiana. It just wasn't a Fun trip.  Dad and my MIL are each  in an assisted living home in different parts of South Louisiana. They have very limited mobility. Each has some ageing issues. It's so hard seeing our parents so alone. They want to stay in Louisiana, but there is so little family/friends around for them. I know our trip did them some good. Wish it wasn't so far to visit.

I had Homework when I returned home that I needed to do. Yes, teacher/librarians have homework in the Summer. I am scheduled for a "professional learning" (new term for staff development ) class next week. I had to read 4 middle grade novels and write questions for each book. The questions are for our annual Reader's Rally held in early Winter. I had four wonderful books.

 My favorite was The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. It's actually a fantasty/adventure series. Once our class meets, I'd like to read the others in the series. Percy Jackson discovers that his father is a Greek god. The human portrayls of the classic Greek gods was amusing. I loved that Area, god of war, was a biker on a Harley motorcycle. My favorite was probably Poseidon as a beach bum. My fourth and fifth graders who love fantasy will like this title.  I also enjoyed The Amazing Flight of Darius Frobisher.  I loved all the bicycles in this book.  

My son swims in a Summer swim league. The past two days we've been involved in swim meets. We've had wonderful thunderstorms to help our drought, but the storms made swimming difficult. It's made for lots of wet towels and laundry, packing ice chests with drinks and meals. Finally, the folks in charge had to call the  event off. Our event was at another neighborhood pool. It happened to be in the neighborhood that my principal, my boss, lives. I am so blessed to have this woman for a "boss" - for a friend. She spent a couple of hours with me in my car while we wait for the thunderstorms to end. 

We changed cell phone providers this week. Thankfully, we have a teenage computer geek at home. He is helping us "learn" our new phones. I think I can check for messages:)  It's been fun choosing new ring tones. I chose "Summon the Heroes" for my main ringtone. Of course, I've missed more calls because I can't remember that means to answer the telephone. We found a sound bite with the LSU Fight Song for my husband. My son, the passionate videogamer, is using snippets from his favorite videogame. Fun:)


After "lots of togetherness" on our trip, in the hotel, in the car, I jumped at the chance to attend a quilting class on Saturday. My hubby seem glad to have me gone, too.  Melisa, at Sweet Home, had a Stash Class. She provided the stash and taught us a new technique. It was sanity for me. It doesn't matter if I ever finish these blocks. It was fun being in a different quilting classroom. I met some new ladies. I was even pretty restrained around all the luscious fabrics. I do hear that she has the new Portugal line by April Cornel. Oh no.....  I still haven't use the Maypole fat quarters that I purchased at Quilt Market.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Welcome home and I do feel sympathy for you in caring for your parents My dad is in a nursing home and fortunately my mom is able to go and stay with him all day. It is very very sad and hard to accept, but also very necessary due to his medical condition. Its nice you had the quilting workshop to look forward to when you got home and was able to get in some quilting therapy.

Unknown said...

glad you had a chance to relax after your trip. It does not matter that the last fabric is not used up...can't pass up Portugual. I guess I will need to get there too! Have enjoyed the rain but not crazy about the violence of the storms the last few days. The saga of Bailey continues 50 more days until Laur returns from Japan. I am so ready!

Gretchen said...

Wow you have been busy this week. Glad to see a post from you! Sounds like you, me, and karin *need* to meet up at Melisa's for a little look-see (as Mooch from the comic strip "Mutts" would say). Hooray it's Friday!!!

Sara said...

Sounds like you had a great trip and glad everything went well! Also, glad your back!

Carol said...

I know what you are dealing with concerning your parents. I have just moved my 86 year old father here from California to a Personal Care Home. He wnats to go back to Calif but there is no one there to watch him. It can be really tough.