Saturday, July 25, 2009

Christmas in July




I dug under my cutting table and pulled out another plastic container with an aged project. That's my goal this year - to empty some of those containers. I don't know why, but I felt like working with Christmas fabric. It could be the post that Brenda did on shopping for Christmas all year long. About three years ago, I took a class at Stitch 'N Quilt Shoppe with Pat Wys. The class was her Christmas tree skirt, Slice of Christmas.


I selected Moda's Maison de Noel Christmas fabric, one of my all-time favorite Christmas fabrics. The pattern involves a special ruler. I borrowed Carol's ruler because the shop was out of the rulers when I took the class. It's probably time to return the ruler to Carol. The last time I worked on this project was at a Summer Stitch-In.



I cut one panel completely wrong. That's when it was put back into the plastic container to age. I wasn't sure that I had enough fabric to complete the pattern. About a year ago, I ordered additional fabric from several online shops. This afternoon, I cut the additional strips that I needed. With my Ipod playing a favorite book, I completed sewing the strips together. Sometimes this weekend, I'm hoping to press the strips and cut the wedges with Carol's ruler. This pattern makes two Christmas tree skirts. It would be super to have them ready for Christmas gifts.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

Hooray for nicely aged projects!

Micki said...

The fabric is lovely! It should be a lovely project!
Micki

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

This is such a CLASSIC! I hope you're successful in finishing this time. I think the Moda Glace fabric would make a beautiful tree skirt, it is very similar to the Maison de Noel.

Quilter Kathy said...

That is my goal this year too...to dig out some of the UFO's stored away and make some progress.
This is a lovely treeskirt...hope you finish it for Christmas!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Oh Becky it looks soo good. I wish I had enough of those fabbies to make another one. I made mine several years ago before I wrote the pattern. Send a photo when you finish it. PAHLEEEZZZEE..

Pat

Teresa said...

Good for you! Its fun to rediscover exitment in an old project.

Unknown said...

Had a grea time today, love your Christmas project.