Thursday, February 17, 2011

Where To Begin

After a break from blogging, I find it difficult to know where to begin. The past six weeks have been hectic. From working with elementary kids for many years, my life has morphed into spending lots of time with the elderly. At a distance, I'm on the telephone with my family making decisions about our Dad's care. Dad has dementia. We've had to research and locate another facility for his care. He is now in a nursing home with a sitter  to help make the transition. Assets had to be liquidated. I did make a quick trip to Baton Rouge this month to visit with him. In August, DH's mom moved near our home. She is 90 and a bit of a "challenge." The past six weeks have been spent handling her care. She was sick with a virus, improved, developed an infection, hospitalized, in a rehab. facility and now back to her apartment. We are in a balancing act with her care and facility. I spend time dealing with her medications, services, and "stuff". It dawned on me last week that I am now a caregiver. I joking say MIL is my new part-time job, but the truth of the matter is that she would be content if I was her full time caregiver. That's not going to happen:) Ok. I got that off my chest:) I'd love any comments from those of you who have been caregivers, too. I do know to take care of ME.


With the in mind, I've just returned from a FABULOUS quilting retreat in the mountains of north Georgia. The retreat is hosted by Pat Wys of Silver Thimble Quilt Company. This was the second annual retreat at Whitepath Lodge in Ellijay, Georgia. Last February, I planned to attend the retreat, made arrangements to take personal leave from school and got sick the day I was to travel to Ellijay. I was not a happy camper having to stay home and miss the fun. There were 31 ladies on retreat  - the nicest, most generous, fun-loving women. We sewed, eat, laughed, walked the trails, shopped and laughed all over again. 



Back later with more about our retreat, projects etc......

11 comments:

Diane said...

We seem to have semi-parallel lives right now. I just moved my folks from Seattle to Salt Lake to be near me, and it is a real shift in my thinking and time. It's worth it, but not easy. Not fun decisions to have to make on behalf of our parents.

Good luck!

Darlene said...

First I want to say that I'm really glad you got away on a quilt retreat - time for YOU.

You've got your hands full and I'm sure every day brings a new challenge. I wish I had sage advice but instead I'm just going to leave a (HUG).

Wacky Woman said...

I had my mom living with me for 10 years. It is a challenge; but, so worth it in the end. Good you know to take time for YOU.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear all about it.

Lori said...

Caregiving of parents is tough. I'll be thinking of you.

Loretta said...

Becky, I am sorry to hear all this as I know from working in the War Veterans Home how difficult this is for families, especially when your loved one is far away. Please remember if there's anything I can do to help, I am only a phone call away.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

We went through the care giver roll with my FIL. Not easy but necessary. Now my DD is going through that with her FIL. Hard on everybody. Glad you were able to have some ME time with the retreat.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

So good to have your back Becky! Goodness, you've had a lot going on! So glad you got to take a retreat and enjoy some sewing!! Wish I had some wisdom for your here - wishing you all the best - and keep remembering to take good care of you!!!

Lana said...

Hi Becky,
Glad you were able to go to the retreat in the midst of all that is going on...Its a tough job, but somehow, I think you are doing a great job.
:)

Teresa said...

You know, I don't really have much advise I can give about caring for elderly family members other than just take it one day at a time. Do what you can do, and don't feel guilty about what you can't. God bless you as you take care of your MIL and Dad.

donna said...

Glad you were able to go on a quilting retreat and do something for yourself.Being a caretaker
is not an easy task. I too take care of my 84 year old mother with vascular dymensia. She just had a hysterectomy as she was diagnosed with uterine cancer. It was quite overwhelming to deal with at this stage in her life. Quilting has kept me focused and alot of binding done at the doctors offices and hospital.Good luck.