Thursday, May 8, 2008

At Home in Mitford

Most folks can name their comfort foods without a thought. One of my  comfort foods is ice cream especially chocolate chip :)  I've met a good number of  readers who  have what I call "comfort reads."  A comfort read is a book or series that the reader will read again and again. I had a student years ago who would check-out Running Loose by Chris Cruther once a year. He said it helped to keep him focused. I have several comfort reads. My current comfort read is The Mitford books by Jan Karon.  I have read the entire series four or five times. I've listened to the audiobooks a couple of times.  I especially like to listen to an audiobook when I'm sewing. I don't have a TV or computer in my sewing room. Listening to a book on CD especially one that I already know the plot helps when I am sewing.  I'm currently listening to book three in the Mitford series  These High Green Hills. My drive to school is 45 minutes.  Lately, I've started bringing my Ipod and listening to my current audiobook while driving home in the afternoon.

What is your favorite "comfort book" ?  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved the Mitford series. I read them several years ago. I think I will check them out again. Funny thing is that when I lived in NY, my church was very similiar so it was like different names on the people that I "knew".

Sara said...

Good question! One of my favorite comfort reads is Gone With The Wind. I also really like the Mitford series, but GWTW is just one of those books I read over and over. And Scarlett was not as good as GWTW.

Anonymous said...

I love the Mitford series. I have read all ov them several times. I also agree with Sara about GWTW. It is my all time favorite book. I read it the first time when I was in the 7th grade. Of course some of it was way over my head, but I re-read it at least once a year and watch the movie.

ShellyH said...

When I was a child, I did have a comfort read, this might sound silly but I would read Charlotte's Web over and over and over again from cover to cover!