Thursday, March 20, 2008

Nickel Quilts

Tuesday morning, I took four hours of personal leave  time from school to attend the Gwinnett Quilter's Guild meeting. I am a guild member, but since it is a daytime guild and I work during the day, I miss more meetings than I attend. I do try to go to the meetings in June and July when I have time off from school. The guild has wonderful programs. It's a large guild with some dear quilters.  This month the main speaker was Pat Speth, author of the Nickel Quilts Book and More Nickel Quilts. I just didn't want to miss her talk. Pat had lots and lots of quilt to show. I was sitting near the back so I wasn't able to really look at her quilts, but there was plenty of inspiration in what I could see. It was wonderful visiting with quilting  friends. Thanks Pat, Debbie, Sandy, Carol, Ann, Sharon, and Joan for a wonderful morning!


I did purchase one of Pat's individual patterns. I've wanted to make a red, white, and blue quilt for a couple of years. I think the inspiration (obsession) came from the Atlanta shop hop three years ago, when my dear friend Debbie decided to collect fabric for a patriotic quilt. Did she ever collect patriotic fabric :) I have begun collecting fabric for my own patriotic quilt, but didn't have my heart set on any pattern.  Star and Crown  is it. Now for some serious accumulating of red, white, and blue fabrics. Love that part!

Off to the Friday group of Stitch 'N Sisters. A day of sewing with quilting friends. It doesn't get much better than this!

7 comments:

SueR said...

That was a darn good reason to miss work. Pat Speth has some wonderful quilts in her books. I think she is making an appearance in Maine this year at the PTQG state show.

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

Becky, you "need" to come see the new Moda Prairie Paisley line! It is really yummy r/w/b prints that will be great in your Nickel Quilt.
And if you come tomorrow, you can hunt for an Easter Egg!

Melisa @ Sweet Home

Gretchen said...

I'll be happy to help you pick out patriotic fabrics; I'm good at enabling right Debbie???!!! LOL!!

Unknown said...

well I do declare...sounds like a road trip to Sweet Home is in order......besides I haven't bought enough fabric this week (and if you believe that, I have a really pretty bridge that is available for sale!)

Teresa said...

If you are anything like me, once I get my mind set on a pattern, then I just about bust to get started on it. Good luck on your hunt for red, white and blue.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

I love Nickel Quilts, WOW, you lucky lady taking off of work, sometimes it just has to be done!!! Good for you, Hugs, Mary

SueR said...

Hi Becky, I just posted a picture of my poor old dachshund Amy on my blog, if you want to see. Thanks for visiting my blog last week!