Tuesday, April 12, 2011

AQS Quilt Show


I'm almost afraid to type this post - afraid to tempt fate. Two weeks from today, fourteen days to be exact, Brenda and I are leaving to attend the annual AQS Quilt Show in Paducah, Kentucky. This will be my first time to travel to Kentucky. I've wanted to "experience" Paducah for years, but it was difficult to miss work at this time of year. Retirement definitely has some advantages:) Brenda is beginning her courses for certification as a quilt appraiser. I've been reading blogs and asking questions. I'd love it if those of you who have attended this quilt show would share with me. What did you love? Don't miss? Don't forget? Don't bother doing? That kind of thing. I know I want to experience Hancock's of Paducah, the Quilt Museum and THE QUILTS. Who else is going to Paducah? 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't miss anything! Does that help? HAH! Make it to Downtown and see the shops.. eat a strawberry shortcake.. Take your time with the quilts.. The Museum was awesome too. Take pictures! I can't go this year so I'll live vicariously through you!

Jocelyn said...

All of the above, but don't miss Carson Park!! Eleanor Burns will have her tent set up. She does a fabulous show, and her fabric tent is amazing. Also there is a bakery downtown (I think the name is Kirshners, or something). Anyway, you will LOVE their pastries and baked goods. But go early in the day if you can ;-) Oh and the AQS damaged books are in the Finkle building. Just ask any of the trolley drivers. GREAT bargains to be found.

Unknown said...

I am marking the days off too.

Sandra said...

Oh wow! I've always wanted to visit the quilt show. Please take lots and lots of photos and do tell all!

quiltma said...

Must sees are Eleanor Burns show at the park, Caryl Bryer Fallert, the home tours are awsome, Hancocks and the BOY SCOUT STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE

Quilter Kathy said...

I had my "once in a lifetime" trip to Paducah and had a fabulous time. I loved all the big name shows (Ricky Tims, Eleanor Burns, etc) and loved the quilt show. It was quite crowded at times, so you have to go at the right time if you like to stand and really see each of the quilts. The vendors are amazing and be prepared to spend lots of money! I didn't take any classes because it was just too overwhelming to fit that in. Loved going to the Rotary show/vendors and definately go to see Caryl Bryer Fallert's shop. And see if you can make it over to Patti's Settlement for a great meal! Have a great time!

Sharrieboberry said...

I haven't been to Paducah, but I would recommend really good walking shoes and gel inserts!

Even if you have the comfy shoes, try the super duper gel inserts. They'll be lots of walking!

Pat said...

I will also be in Paducah with 3 of my quilting friends. I will keep my eyes open for you and Brenda! It is so much fun. Have a safe trip!!