Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bloggers Virtual Quilt Show

While reading blogs this morning, I discovered the First Bloggers Online Virtual Quilt Show hosted by Amy at the blog Park City Girl. There is still time to enter your favorite quilt and then blog about it. 

Chosing a favorite quilt is like chosing your favorite child, friend, book, food - it's hard to choose just one. I debated choosing the Neutral Stars Quilt. 



The neutral fabric just came together on that one. I thought about the band quilt I made using the Friendship Crossing Pattern by Pat Wys. The colors that I had to use blue, gold, and cream are not my normal color choices. (I can't find the photo at this minute. Will look later today) There was also the T-shirt quilt for my previous school. The colors just came together. I guess you can tell that I'm all about the color choices of the fabrics in my quilts.


 I decided to feature the quilt that I just completed. It's called the Mulberry Author Quilt. Our fourth grade students wrote to their favorite authors. They included a 6 inch quilt square in the letter requesting the author to autograph it and mail it back to us. We had 23 squares to include in the quilt. That's a hard number to design with. I brought the squares to my art teacher. In our discussion it occured to me to add more color to the quilt and to use Sharon Henderson's T-Shirt Quilt Pattern. I had found some library book fabric from an online shop. I visited Melisa at Sweet Home Quilt Shop to purchase additional fabric for the background and quilt sashings. Peggy Barkle quilted it for me. She did a fabulous job enhancing the blocks, but not interfering with the autographs. The quilt will be shown to the students this week. I've taken photos of each block. These photos in addition to pictures of the authors and their books will be used in a Powerpoint Presentation. We have autographs from some wonderful children's authors, Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, Barbara Park, Christopher Paolini, R.L. Stine - just to name a few. Thanks for viewing my quilt! Click on my side-bar to visit the other quilts in the Bloggers Virtual Quilt Show.

22 comments:

Jen said...

I love this idea! How creative. It came out beautifully. And what a wonderful story behind it!

Zonnah said...

I love the t-shirt quilt. The colors and the layout are amazing.

dutchcomfort said...

The t-shirt quilt is great and so is the story behind it!

Bed Linen said...

The idea is brilliant, and its turned out beautifully too.

Helen said...

I love your work. It's beautiful, fun and inspiring!!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and taking a peek at my quilts.

Hugs

Gretchen said...

Can't wait to hear the reaction of the kids when they see the quilt!!! It is really special! Good to see you yesterday; it's been too long.

Anonymous said...

They're both beautiful and I see why you had such a hard time picking one - the neutral stars quilt is so beautiful - it really inspires me, though the one you chose is beautiful in a different way. Great work!

Judy Alexander said...

Beautiful quilts. I love your 4th grade quilt project. What a great way to encourage kids to read and what great authors to sign the squares. I am in Marietta so not far from you.

Karmen said...

Hi Becky in Georgia, I am Karmen by Collins Hill HS, and I found you by way of the Online Quilt Festival. I am taking Sharon Henderson's T-shirt quilt class this Saturday, so I really like seeing your work.

Unknown said...

I love the author quilt, you did a great job on it.

stitchinpenny said...

Great quilts.

Quilt Rat said...

Terrific works, all so different and interesting. Beautiful job
Enjoy the festival

Kim said...

What a fun quilt! This was a great idea and beautifully executed.

Unknown said...

Great quilts! I love your neutral stars - nice and quiet while beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Sherri said...

I love all of your quilts...but I especially like how you set the blocks in the t-shirt quilt...I've never seen one set that way, and it's fabulous!

meggie said...

Nice story on your quilt. What a great idea, it is very interesting!
Thankyou for your kind comment on mine.

Nadia said...

thank you!
i like your quilt!

Cathy said...

I really like the t-shirt quilt. It is an unusual layout and very effective.

Diane said...

Your T-shirt quilts are great! Any suggestions for locating the pattern? I love that it's different than typical T-shirt quilts!

sewcalgal said...

I love all of your quilts and your story. Thank you for sharing!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

marilyn said...

Where can I get the pattern for the t shirt quilt? I need to make one for my school principal in the next couple of weeks and love the look of this quilt.
thanks

Corrine Detrick said...

I am thinking of making a quilt for a lady who has saved the shirts of her departed sister. She wants me to make two (for each of the daughters she left behind) Tshirt quilts for her ~ as gifts for her nieces. Would you share where the pattern behind your tshirt quilt came from. I would be very appreciative!