Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Other Side of the Quit

  When I first became "seriously obsessed" with quilting, I signed up for a group at a local quilt shop. The group was called Pinheads and led by Pat Wys of Silver Thimble Quilt Company. (Our group is now called the Silver Thimble Club, but that's another story) Each month Pat taught a new quilt. Kits were sold with luscious fabrics that Pat chose. In addition to the quilt, special fabric was chosen for the backing of the quilt. I learned from Pat's modeling to coordinate the back to the quilt top. 

It is taking forever to warm up this Spring. Atlanta had snow flakes last week. I still have two quilts on our Master bed that we sleep on each night. I don't have many quilts big enough for this bed. It dawned on me to "flip" my quilts over.  Both quilts have lovely creamy floral backings. It's like getting two quilts in one. Thanks, Pat for the inspiration!



(I know these pictures could be better, but hope you get idea.)

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Great idea.

Teresa said...

Your quilt backings do look nice as the quilt "front". I have mixed feelings about the backings. I always try to coordinate the backing with the top, but then I see other ladies who just piece whatever they have to make up the backing and use up fabrics leftovers that way and it always looks so charming.

Unknown said...

That is a great idea. Have to try that sometime.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I remember when you made the quilt and it is so lovely on the back. I just did a pieced back for one of my newest designs for market with coordinating fabrics and it two is a wonderful quilt FRONT AND BACK!

Can't wait for Thimbles this weekend. I have a little surprise!

Smooches,
Pat