Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Thread So Thin

Reading and quilting are both passions of mine. Put the two together  and I'm one happy camper. Marie Bostwick has again given us a wonderful story in her newest addition to her Cobbed Court series. I anxiously waited for this novel to hit the bookstores. The date was marked on my calendar and immediately I  purchased a copy at a local bookstore. A Thread So Thin was a book to be savored. I took my time reading it, enjoying every word. It's a rare book of fiction that I find myself grabbing a pad and pencil to write down quotes from the story. This novel was one that I did just that. Here are just a few of the lines that resonated with me:


from page 7: "They're also members of my quilt circle. I know, it's weird to think of a twenty-two-year-old sitting around with a bunch of older women, making quilts, but what can I say? They're my girls." This line just resonated with me. That's how I feel about my quilting friends, my Thimble group. We're all very different in our ages, backgrounds, family situations, but we connect. They're my girls!


from page 48: "We're all women and we all like to quilt. Other than that, we're about as different as we could possibly be. All you have to do is take a look at our quilts to know that." My quilt girls are cat people, some like me are dog people, one is a bird lady, one even wanted to bring a goat home for a pet. We're nurses, math teachers, librarians, accountants, stay at home moms, computer experts, etc. etc.


from page 118: "... many students had purchased fat quarters of fabric, the first of what would become their 'stash,' the quilter's addiction and most prized possession, that collection of impulsively purchased fabrics we have no specific plans for but simply must have, our hoarded cache of inspiration."  This is so good! Can anyone else relate to this definition of their stash?


and finally from page 250: "She's my dear, cherished and forever friend, and no matter how badly she behaves, she always will be." That is indeed the kind of friend we want in our lives - one who will cherish us no matter how we badly we behave. They are our forever friend.


Dear quilting friends, do yourself a favor and read the books in the Cobbled Court series - A Single Thread, A Thread of Truth and A Thread So Thin. 


Jackie of Canton Village Quiltworks interviewed Marie Bostwick on her podcast, Jackie' Quilting Chronicles,  available on iTunes and her website. Jackie does a super job in her podcast introducing us to Marie as a quilter and a novelist. Thank you Jackie and Marie!

6 comments:

Melinda said...

I just ordered the first book in the series for my Kindle. Plan to read it next.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

I'm midway through this book... love it like I loved the others.

Denise in PA said...

I love Marie's books too! Pat Sloan also did a nice interview with Marie on her Creative Talk Radio show.

Carol said...

Also loved the book-- got on the list for the public library- thank heaven did not have to wait too long. Great writer!!

Terry said...

I just finished reading this one and I loved it! :0)

Gretchen said...

I liked this one too. I'm looking forward to more in the series.