Sunday, June 1, 2008

Stash Busting Report

Finally! I had two quilt tops that just needed borders. Borders are not my favorite thing to do.  Today, I unexpectedly had all day  to sew. I had planned to begin sewing  a rag quilt for a gift due  in late June. I decided to work on the quilts needing borders instead. My stash busting goal this year is to finish at least 12 UFO's.  I was feeling a bit behind on my goal since I had not finished a top in May. Christmas Toile is a big quilt. It needed to be pressed, then borders added. It is DONE!  

My husband requested an LSU (Louisiana State University) quilt. He is passionate about his LSU tigers. I started this top two or three years ago. It was the only LSU fabric that I could find. It's so "boxy".  I didn't like the way top looked. The border fabric that I planned to use looked all wrong. I packed it away. Finally, last fall I took it out again and shopped for border fabrics for the third time. These two fabrics make the quilt. The inner border is a textured black tone-on-tone. The outer border is purple with black squiggly lines. These fabrics look like they belong with this quilt. Thanks, Gretch and Karin for helping me find "the right" fabric. The backings fabric is tiger stripes. It's perfect for this quilt.  DONE!

I still have to piece the backing for both tops. It was on my list for today, but I'm out of time. Maybe, tomorrow....

That makes two UFO's out of plastic containers. Two projects to check off my list of tops to finish. That makes 7 tops finished this year! That's a record for me! Of course, there are still lots and lots of UFO's still needing some TLC.  :}}}

6 comments:

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Well I'm glad to see that I was not the only one out spending on Saturday. You, Kristi and Gretchen, myself and Rosalyn managed to to our part for economic recovery. We visited the Marietta shops and had a wonderful day!

Pat

Gretchen said...

The quilts look fantastic!! I just love Pat's Star Gazing pattern more every time I see it. My black/tan one isn't quilted yet. Does Marion like his LSU quilt? The border fabric is perfect, well worth the wait.

Randi said...

Doesn't it feel good to get those borders on? Great job!

merrily row said...

Being Louisiana born myself, my brothers say there is no wrong purple and gold fabric. Go Tigers. Lovely quilt.

Unknown said...

The quilts are beautiful. Are you going to bring them in on Sat? I am hoping to have the back finished on the citrus quilt done. I will be there Sat-then I have babysitting duty in the evening.

Kathy said...

The quilts look great.