Monday, June 15, 2009

Autumn Ridge - On My Design Wall

Judy Laquidara of the blog Patchwork Times  has challenged her readers to post what's on their design wall each Monday. That did motivate me to put my Firecrackers top on the design wall and to begin sewing it into a quilt top. I have all the vertical rows sewn. I'm working on the horizontal rows. Today, I put my Autumn Ridge blocks on the design wall. Gretchen, Karin and I cut strips and swapped them several years back. Both Grethen and Karin have their tops completed. My competive nature insists that I complete my top, too. I've learned alot making this top. It's my very first log cabin quilt. You may notice the missing row on my design wall. I discovered yet again that I have constructed the blocks incorrectly for that row. I cut new strips and will make new blocks. The "incorrect blocks" will go on the back of the quilt. I don't think the strips can stand the pressure of any more "reverse sewing." They'll add a nice element to the back of the quilt. I'm loving this top. I'm hoping to find some sewing time tomorrow. This week is crammed with dental appointments, eye check-ups, two swim meets. Even Rusty needs to visit his not so favorite person, the "vet" for his annual shots. Thanks, Judy for having us post "What's on our Design Wall."

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Autumn Ridge looks wonderful!! I need to do something for a back so that I can finally get this thing quilted. What is next up on the design wall?

Chris said...

Beautiful! Log Cabin is one of my all time favorite patterns. So many design possibilities. And yet another design just by the color placement. I'll have to give this a try, it's now on my YTD List.

~Laurie~ said...

Beautiful, bright colors!

Gretchen said...

It looks great! I really like blocks on the back of quilts. My Strawberry Pie has random left over blocks on the back. I think the color placement was challenging on this quilt because you really had to pay attention. Other log cabins are not as time consuming.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

How did you make your design wall? I'm getting ready to do that (can't believe I've never had one!).

Quilter Kathy said...

This is really stunning!
I can see that you would really need a design wall for this complicated pattern.

Judy Laquidara said...

I like that quilt a lot! Yes, complete that top! I hope we see it finished very soon!

Unknown said...

It looks great. Can't wait to see it when it is finished.

Helen said...

I love your Autumn Ridge!! The colors are gorgeous.

Hugs