Thursday, June 18, 2009

Crumbs and Scraps - A Solution


I've always had a difficult time throwing away little crumbs or scraps of fabric from quilting projects. Last year, I was fortunate enough  to take a class with Bonnie Hunter on Using Crumbs. Even as I was sewing crumbs (small pieces of fabric) in the class, it just didn't make sense for me to spend the time on crumbs when I had many WIP (works in progress) or even yards of fabric ready to be cut into quilt projects. It's a time issue for me. Saturday at our Silver Thimbles sewing day, someone was collecting fabric trimmings to use in stuffing beds for a pet rescue foundation. Bingo! That's what I could do with my tiny pieces of fabric and the fabric selvages that are stuffed in a drawer. Our Rusty does need a new bed. I even had a pillow sham from my SIL that I could use to begin. I put  the sham (even an old pillowcase would work) near my cutting table.
                                         
                 

All the little slivers and pieces too small for my strip box will go into Rusty's new bed. Even some batting scraps that are too small for rag quilts will go in his bed. He will love it! It will have a human smell and be oh so soft. 

In one of the scrap quilt books that I recently read, the author suggested getting a small three drawer plastic box to organize strips. I would give the author credit except I can't find which book had the recommendation. It may be one I already returned to the public library. I purchased one of these organizers at the "J" store. I'm cutting 3 1/2 inch, 2 1/2 and 2 inch strips to put in each drawer. It sits on a counter near my cutting table.



I'm trying to cut strips after I finish a project. The remaining fabric and the unused strips from my Autumn Ridge project are sitting on the cutting table waiting to be put in one of the drawers. 

I did get Autumn Ridge off the design wall. I "stacked" the quilt like Pat taught us to do in our Pinheads/Sisters/Thimbles sessions. I had to stop sewing yesterday because of the heat in the sewing room. My sewing room is upstairs. Summer has arrived in Atlanta and it's just plain hot on our second floor. The air conditioner  never really cools it off. I may have to move some of my sewing stuff into the dining room. The first floor is lots cooler. This seems to make more sense to sew downstairs than trying to cool the upstairs during the day.




7 comments:

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

I had to do the same thing, Becky, because it was too hot to sew upstairs! I've since taken over the dining room AND my son's room, which was empty anyway. Now it is my office/downstairs sewing room! I still don't seem to be able to accomplish much, though. I think it is that "office" thing!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Rusty is not going to sit on that pillow...I that dog and he only sits in your lap...nice try. lol

Hooray for the drawers and organization.

Pat

TexasRed said...

Sounds like a great way to organize. Right now I have my fabric just sorted by color, but I'll think about organizing the scraps by size, instead (especially when they get too small for general use).

Lori in South Dakota said...

having those drawers handy makes it so much easier to cut up the odd bits into the right bins. I use some wild colored baskets! And I never thought about an animal bed, I have a box at the end of the cutting table where scraps get swept off into, maybe Ruby the quilting dog will have a new bed by Christmas!

Unknown said...

Try to stay cool. Hope Rusty likes the bed.

Susan said...

I think that collecting fabric trimmings to use in stuffing dog beds is a great idea. I hope that Rusty likes his new bed.

I had my sewing room all organized with several of those stackable plastic drawers and all my fabric sorted and folded like Pat taught us. Then, I have bought so much more fabric that I need to organize it again.

BTW, I left a note in my sewing room that if anything should happen to me, God forbid, that my family should call you. You'd probably die if you could see my mess!

Carol said...

I had the same problem with my sewing room until my husband got me a small window unit- it even has a remote control. I just crack that baby on- I am a happy cool sew-er.