Thursday, March 26, 2009

Reflecting on Shop Hop Purchases




The Greater Atlanta Shop Hop began today. The earliest that I will be able to visit any of the shops is probably Saturday.  My first Atlanta Shop Hop was in 2004. My friend Judy invited me to join a group including  her MIL and MIL's friend. We took personal leave from our schools on Thursday, the first day of the shop hop. We visited 8 of the 10 shops that first day. We started very early in the morning, ate lunch in the car and didn't stop until late that evening. At that first Shop Hop, I began my practice of shopping for specific projects. That first Shop Hop I shopped for pink fabric, beige fat quarters and dog prints. My stepson's wife loved mauve. I was in the beginning stages of planning a quilt for her. I also collected dogs prints even though we  did not have a dog at that time. I did complete one of these projects. The dog quilt is still a UFO. I probably have enough dog fabric for 2 or 3 quilts.



The next year, I didn't have a plan until I walked into Stitch 'N Quilt. Their Shop Hop Quilt in black and white had me mesmerized. I didn't think that I liked or wanted a black and white quilt. This quilt changed that opinion. I only visited a handful of shops that year, but I did purchase black and white fabrics at each shop. I never even cut this quilt out (which is probably a good thing) I still have my black and white fabrics. I have another quilt in mind. A quilt that is close to the top of the new project list.

The next year, Debbie and Gretchen joined me in my van on the Saturday of SH. We had a wonderful day. Lots of laughing, talking and buying of fabric! A quilt in the December 2005 McCall's Quilting magazine was "Yelling" at me. At many of the  shops we visited, I purchased some of Moda's Wuthering Heights collection. I again ended with enough fabric for not one, but two quilts. One of the quilts is currently on our bed. 

 
With the extra fabric, I made the Strawberry Pie pattern by Pat Wys of Silver Thimble Company. This quilt actually now belongs to Pat. It is in her truck show and has been to Quilt Market. I also located the perfect flannel to match the backing of my Christmas Toile Quilt on this shopping trip.


In 2007, we filled my van with wonderful quilting friends - Gretchen, Pat, Brenda, Debbie and me. I knew at that time that I was transfering to my new elementary school, Mulberry Elementary. I found a pattern online called Mulberry Bush by Acorn Quilts Pattern Company. This trip with the help of my shopping buddies, I collected the fabric for my Mulberry quilt. It currently lives in my Mulberry Elementary Media Center.


Last year, Pat, Debbie and I attended Bonnie Hunter's Workship, but we managed a side trip to Little Quilts. I found neutrals for my sister-in-law's neutral quilt. On Friday of Shop Hop, I made a trip to Sweet Home to visit Melisa and Mike. I found border fabric and other neutral prints there.



Now, I'm sure you might be wondering why I'm writing about previous shop hops. You got it right. I'm trying to justify the fabric that I'm planning to purchase this year :) I have a new project in mind with the black and white fabric that I haven't used yet. I NEED more black with white prints.  

Actually, my Shop Hop record is not so bad, only 2 unfinished projects. Wish my record was this good on all my shopping trips :)


4 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I never did the shop hop when I lived in the Atlanta area but I sure miss Tiny Stitches and Little Quilts!

Unknown said...

I love your shop hop stories. I don't know that I have finished any of the projects planned on past shop hops. I am planning to hop around starting tomorrow-work does get in the way! Hope the weather is not to bad

Teresa said...

I have gotten behind in my blog reading and sure enjoyed reading through your blogs today. A shop hop would be fun, but I have not ever gone on one either. It must be kind of like a trip to Mary Jo's where if I don't have a quilt in mind, I just come home with a mish mash of fabrics, but I love each and every one.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Oh these posts bring back the best memories.

Pat
who is catching up on her blog reading.