Saturday, March 7, 2009

You Just Never Know...


You just never know what life is planning. My husband went for his annual physical on Tuesday. Because he has a problem with bronchitis, his doctor offered him a pneumonia shot. It was bothering him Tuesday. His arm hurt at the injection site. Wednesday evening he began running fever. Again, he was coughing some, so we assumed that he was starting with his normal bronchitis.  Thursday morning, we looked at his arm. There was a big red circle. He was also definitely running a high fever. He saw the doctor Thursday morning. His temperature was 103. He called me at school for me to pick him up at the doctor's office and bring him to the hospital emergency room (Northside Hospital). Because he has had bypass surgery they were being very cautious. That was Thursday. Here it is Saturday and he is still in the hospital.  We truly expected to be there just one night. We are blessed with excellent health-care. The doctors are checking all possible causes for the fever and his "cellulitis" in his arm. Last night, his doctor felt like his infection was not a reaction from the pnemonia shot, but bacteria that had gotten into the area of the injection. We remembered that not only had he gone for a physical on Tuesday, but he had a regular visit at the dentist for his teeth to be cleaned. They are now checking his arm for an absess and another lung x-ray. He is coughing lots. Poor dear, he is bored and sick of being in the hospital. Because Marion was doing so good yesterday (he had a shower, shaved, walked the halls with his IV poll) I continued with plans to take our Son for Springfest at the university that he will attend in the Fall. Michael and I had a fabulous day at Georgia College. The weather was perfect. He learned more about his course of study, opportunities that are available, registered for classes, registered for his dormitory room plus explored some extra activities and opportunities. We are taking a little break and then will head back to the hospital to visit with Marion. I'm finally brining him his sleepers and robe. Each morning we've felt like he was coming home so we haven't bothered.  Say a little prayer that whatever is causing his infection and coughing that medications will get him over the worst. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! That is absolutely horrible. I'm very glad you have excellent health care too. Prayers for you all and the doctors working on him.

Unknown said...

I hope that Marion will be home soon. He is in a good hospital, as you know. Keep us posted

Gretchen said...

OMG! How horrible! Please tell Marion that Steve and I are wishing him the best and that they figure out what's wrong with him soon so he can come home. I am glad that you had a good day with Michael in Milledgeville. It's nice that they had a day to come learn more about the college. Sending hugs!!!! Gretch

Teresa said...

I have never heard of a reaction like this, but definitely will be praying that all goes well and he gets better soon.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

OMG Please tell Marion he is in my prayers.I know how scarey this is for you and Michael.

Hey maybe if you rub some of that special Cajun spice rub he brought me his arm would heal instantly.

Michael is on his way...such an exciting time in his and your lives.

Please keep us posted on Marion.

Pat

Lori in South Dakota said...

OW!! Hope he feels better soon!

Unknown said...

That is awful. I will be praying for both of you. Let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Quilter Kathy said...

Your poor hubby! I had that kind of reaction to the flu shot a couple of years ago...but not the coughing part.
Hope his clears up real quick!

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

I am so sorry to hear Marion is under the weather! And How!!! I've been out of touch since middle of last week with the Watkinsville show and just tonite starting catching up on blogs. I will be praying for a quick recovery for him, and calm for you and Michael. So glad you were still able to take him to Milledgeville for the weekend college event - I know he must be getting really excited! Many hugs coming your way...

Mrs.Pinion said...

Becky! I was shocked to read your blog! I am sorry about the developments with Marion! I am hoping he is recovering nicely by the time I had read this!